Weddings are a celebration of love, a union of two souls embarking on a journey together. And what better way to commemorate this special occasion than with a wedding cake? The tradition of wedding cakes dates back centuries, and it has evolved into an art form that is as beautiful as it is delicious.
Over the years, wedding cakes have transformed from simple stacks of cakes to elaborate works of art. In the 17th century, sugar became more readily available, and bakers began creating intricate sugar sculptures to adorn the cakes. These sculptures often depicted symbols of love and fertility, such as hearts, flowers, and cherubs.
During the Victorian era, white icing became popular, symbolizing purity and wealth. The multi-tiered cake also became fashionable, with each tier representing prosperity for the couple. The wedding cake became a symbol of status and sophistication, and it was often the centerpiece of the wedding reception.
Now DIY wedding cakes have become more popular. There are many options when it comes to decorating or even baking your own wedding cake. Sugar decorations make it really easy and inexpensive to personalize your big day.
Why Choose Sugar Flowers for your Wedding Cake?
Sugar flowers are the best option when it comes to selecting décor for your wedding cake. Real flowers, while undeniably beautiful, have their limitations. They wilt, they can be fragile, and they may not withstand the heat and humidity of a summer wedding. Sugar flowers, on the other hand, are meticulously handcrafted using edible hardened sugar. They are not only stunningly realistic but also durable and long-lasting, ensuring that your cake remains flawless throughout the festivities.
With sugar flowers, the possibilities are endless; from delicate roses to vibrant colors, and even exotic orchids. You have the freedom to choose the colors, sizes, and arrangements that perfectly complement your wedding theme and personal style. Whether you envision a romantic cascade of flowers or a minimalist arrangement, sugar flowers can bring your vision to life.
Unlike real flowers, sugar flowers are crafted by skilled artisans using edible materials such as gum paste or fondant. This means that they are completely safe to consume and pose no risk to your health. Real flowers, on the other hand, may have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals that are not intended for human consumption. By opting for sugar flowers, you can ensure that every element of your dessert is not only beautiful but also safe to eat.
Planning Your Design
Choosing the right flowers may seem daunting but it can be simple. A few ideas to start you off are to incorporate your wedding theme and colors. Popular flowers for wedding cakes tend to be roses or orchids. You can pair them with an elegant white buttercream cake or choose a little color by adding vibrant sugar flowers. Color themes this year are to match your wedding palette to your wedding cake. Many brides are opting for a more colorful look and passing on a traditional white on white wedding cake. Depending on the season you are marrying in, you can also select a sugar flower that pairs well with the season.
Ordering sugar flowers are made simple at Cake Muse®. We offer pre made options and many designs. It takes the guesswork out of the decorations for your wedding cake and allows you to spend time and energy on other parts of your wedding planning. In addition, it is great for a budget friendly alternative, without compromising on a gorgeous wedding cake.
DIY Wedding Cake Ideas: Preparing Your Cake
An easy way to prepare for your wedding cake is to order it from a local grocery store bakery or a small bakery near you for a fraction of the cost. Of course, if you want to bake the cake yourself that is great.
Here's what you want to do:
1. Decide how many guests you will have. Once you place your cake order they can help you determine how large your cake needs to be based on your guest count.
2. Pick your cake shape. Consider round, square, special shape, tiered, sheet cake...
3. Choose your flavor and icing. The icing can be buttercream or fondant. Anything goes with sugar flowers.
4. Decoration selection is important. If you want an elaborate buttercream cake it will cost a little more. Sugar flowers help elevate the cake without the need for a lot of borders. When planning an easy DIY way to decorate, we suggest ordering your cake with no borders or simple top and bottom borders. Then you or someone in your wedding party can add the sugar flowers at the venue. Another option is to send the sugar flowers to the cake decorator. This offers you a way to save on any extra cost for the cake.
Step-by-Step Guide to Decorating a Wedding Cake with Flowers
1. Plan your design and layout. This is where you get to be creative or take ideas from the Cake Muse® website. Either way, think about color of your frosting, which sugar flower colors you prefer, and any other visual ideas you might have.
2. Adding the sugar flowers to your cake is really only going to take about 3 minutes tops. Simply insert the stem into the area you like and voila!
3. Arranging each flower for a beautiful and stunning look can be done by color to make it easy.
Once your sugar flowers are on the cake you can put the cake back in its box and store in the refrigerator or freezer until your big day. Simply take out your cake on the day of and place it on your desired platter or cake stand. If you are transporting your cake make sure to place it on the floor or trunk of your vehicle. We never recommend placing your cake on the seat in your vehicle because it usually is on a slant and the cake can get damaged in transit. Rule of thumb when pick up your cake box, never hold the box by the sides! Place one flat hand under the center of the cake box and use the other hand to gently hold the side of the cake. This guarantees that your cake wont slide around from transport to table.
Your sugar flowers will be just fine on your cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days usually. This is great for decorating your DIY cake early so you can focus on other things for your wedding. The best part of sugar flowers is that you don't have to worry if they will look fresh or not. They always look fresh!
For leftovers you can cut your cake in slices and freeze the slices up to 3 months. If you want to save the top tier for your anniversary you can freeze the top tier with your sugar flowers. This makes for a very special first year anniversary to see the beauty of your top tier completely preserved.